Tuesday 28 February 2017

MUA Velvet Lip Laquer & REVOLUTION Retro Luxe Lip Kit




 I've been seeing a lot of hype over MUA and Makeup Revolutions new Lip lacquers on Insta/YT so I decided to finally give them a try!

I don't typically use lip lacquers so I wasn't really sure what to expect since I don't own any to compare.

MUA (Make Up Academy) is a relatively cheap drugstore brand that can only be found in Superdrug in the UK. Their Velvet Lip lacquers are priced at £3 which is such a bargain compared to other matte liquid lipsticks.

Top-Bottom:: Regal Lip Liner | Regal Lip Laquer | Tranquility | Halcyon 
Top-Bottom:: Regal Lip Liner | Regal Lip Laquer | Tranquility | Halcyon


The first colour I bought was TRANQUILITY which seemed to be a brown/nude shade.

MUA Luxe Velvet Lip Laquer

MUA Luxe - Tranquility

MUA Luxe - Tranquility
The shade seemed totally different on my lips.. I'm not sure if it's because my natural lip colour but it appeared much lighter and more of a pink nude instead of brown?

Halcyon is a bright coral nude which seemed like a nice daily lip colour.
MUA Luxe Velvet Lip Laquer

MUA Luxe - Halcyon

MUA Luxe - Halcyon
Yet again, the colour is totally different in comparison to the swatch. It came out quite a bright pink on my lips. I wonder what colour these turn out on other peoples lips..?

The texture of these lacquers are super comfortable to wear and dry to a matte finish. It feels slightly drying so I would recommend using a lip balm underneath before you apply it.
I really couldn't complain about this product since it was only £3, and I found it to be very decent for its price! I am just slightly wary of the colour range, so Swatches are definitely a must!

NEXT:
Makeup Revolution Retro Luxe Matte Lip Kit. These have been getting a lot of hype on the internet since the beginning of the year and I have finally got my hands on one!
It was pretty hard to decide which colour to go for since Superdrug didn't have any testers out, so I just based my decision on the colour swatch on the outer packaging..

The shade I finally decided to go for is REGAL: 


Makeup Revolution - Retro Luxe Matte Lip Kit
Makeup Revolution - Retro Luxe Matte Lip Kit (REGAL)

REGAL Lip Liner

REGAL Lip Liner + Laquer


The lip kit comes with a lip liner and a lip lacquer, both in the shades REGAL. But as you can see from the pictures, the lip liner is a slightly lighter-coral shade compared to the lipstick; which can be worn by itself or with the lacquer to create two different looks. The shade of the lip lacquer is very
accurate to the swatch I did on my hand and shows up as a bright blue-toned red on my skin tone.

The texture of the lacquer is a lot thicker than the MUA velvet lacquer, and is also pretty sticky too. I found it quite hard to apply the lipstick evenly on my lips because of the stickiness, and it was actually very obvious since some of the areas appeared darker from applying a thicker layer..

Many people complained of the stickiness of the lacquer, but I found that once it had dried it was Matte; and not sticky at all. And does not feel sticky at all? Maybe people did not let it dry properly, or simple applied too much?

I have to give this lip kit a hands up for staying power because this lipstick did. not. budge! It was actually quite hard to remove from my hand too! So the long wearing factor is definitely better than the MUA which removed very easily and needed re-applying often.

CONCLUSION>
If you are looking for comfort - go for MUA.
If you want a long lasting lip that you don't need to think much about - go for Retro Luxe.
But do keep in mind that the colours for both of these ranges are very confusing and deceiving, so definitely get a swatch if you can!

Thats it for this blogpost.
THANKS FOR READING!

x J x 

No comments:

Post a Comment